Natalie C. MacDonald is the author of ‘Extraordinary Damages in Canadian Employment Law.’
“I set out to write a text on extraordinary damages so everyone with a passion for, and vested interest in, employment law would better understand how these types of awards have evolved and, most importantly, how to avoid exposure to them if you are an employer, and whether they apply to you, if you are an employee.”
Extraordinary Damages in Canadian Employment Law (Carswell, 2010) is the only textbook of its kind and details the multitude of categories of extraordinary damage awards available in employment law cases.
This critically acclaimed book by both the courts and the bar examines the different and emerging trends of damages being developed in civil courts across Canada.
The book contains a thorough and comprehensive review of an enormous body of law including moral damages and the meaning of “bad faith” in wrongful dismissal situations, damages for mental distress, damages from actions based in tort, damages for humiliation, embarrassment and loss of self-esteem, damages on the basis of personal injury law, punitive damages, as well as damages under both provincial and federal human rights legislation, among many other topics. The book also provides sample pleadings, as well as an analysis of the meaning of these damages.
Natalie’s Extraordinary Damages in Canadian Employment Law has been cited in the following decisions and texts:
- Zesta Engineering Ltd. v Cloutier,  O.J. No. 5810, 2010 ONSC 5810 (SCJ) at para 334. Canlii
- Brito v Canac Kitchens,  O.J. No. 1117, 2011 ONSC 1011 (SCJ) at para 19. Canlii
- Kelowna Flightcraft Air Charter Ltd. v Buchanan,  B.C.J. No 2290, 2010 BCSC 1650 (BCSC) at para 18. Canlii
- Williams v TWU,  A.J. No. 542, 2011 ABQB 314 (ABQB) at para 108. Canlii
- Chevalier v Active Tire & Auto Centre Inc.,  O.J. No. 3414, 2012 ONSC 4309 (SCJ) at para 59/fn 10.
- Harbour Air Ltd. and Maloney, Re,  C.L.A.D. No 105, 2012 CarswellNat 7625 (Cda Adj) at para 202.
- Coppola v Capital Pontiac Buick Cadillac GMC Ltd.,  SJ No. 454, 2013 SKCA 80 (SKCA) at para 25/fn 3. Canlii
- Caskanette v Bong-Keun Choi Dentistry Professional Corporation, 2015 Canlii 31308 (ON SCSM) at para 32. Canlii
- Galea v. Wal-Mart Canada Corp., 2017 ONSC 245 (CanLII), .
In the updated edition, soon to come, Natalie’s Associates have researched the following chapters:
Moral Damages – Cody Yorke
Human Rights – Richa Sandill
Torts – David Master and Geoffrey Lowe